Energy and infrastructure
Restructuring and insolvency
Oil and gas
"Michael Carl delivers good, solid and pragmatic advice. He understands business needs and constraints."
Michael S. Carl has two decades of experience practicing law in Southeast Asia, principally in Indonesia. Prior to joining SSEK, Michael was associated with the international law firm Baker & McKenzie in its Singapore and Bangkok offices, where he handled capital markets and investment transactions and represented Indonesian and Thai companies in US debt and equity offerings and debt restructurings. He was also previously associated with Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy and Coudert Brothers.
Michael’s practice is oriented toward energy, mining, infrastructure, finance, insolvency restructurings, and mergers and acquisitions. He is the supervising advisor for SSEK’s mining practice.
Michael is recognized as a leading practitioner in the fields of banking and finance, capital markets, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, projects and energy, and telecommunications. In 2012, Michael was voted an External Counsel of the Year for Indonesia by the readers of Asian-MENA Counsel, who cited his extensive knowledge of Indonesian law. He is a graduate of Harvard and the University of California, Berkeley, and holds an Indonesian law degree.
• Advised China Construction Bank in the successful acquisition of Bank Windu and merger with Bank Anda, in a transaction valued at approximately US$100 million;
• Represented the Sponsors, principally China Hongqiao Group Ltd., in the development of Indonesia’s first alumina refinery, including its project financing at an investment of approximately US$1 billion;
• Represents China Shenhua, one of the world’s largest energy companies, as the developer in several major power projects in Indonesia, including their project financing, which collectively represent an investment amount of over US$3 billion;
• Acted as Indonesian counsel for a group of favourable US$ bondholders in the controversial court-supervised US$380 million debt restructuring of PT Bakrie Telecom Tbk (BTel);
• Advised the secured lender group, holding over US$500 million in debt, in the court-supervised restructuring and asset disposal of PT Berlian Laju Tanker (BLT);
• Represented PT Suryaraya Investama in a joint venture with CapitaLand, a Singapore state-owned enterprise entering its first Indonesian real estate project, to develop a high-end property comprising offices, apartments and serviced apartments in Jakarta.
• Project finance
• Real estate finance
• Restructuring and insolvency
• Financial services
• Real estate