Restructuring and insolvency
Client feedback - Financial and corporate 2017
"Fergus Doorly is a superb lawyer. His advice is reasoned, considered and delivered in a calm reassuring way. He knows the court system and can anticipate problems well in advance."
Client feedback - Financial and corporate 2016
"Fergus set out the pros and cons of the case and advised on the best course of action bearing in mind the commercial aspects of the case."
"Fergus has a measured and calm approach to litigation. Fergus is a clever lawyer and he thinks carefully about legal questions. He is a valuable ally in tricky situations."
Fergus is a Partner in William Fry’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Department, specialising in commercial litigation and insolvency. He has experience in all aspects of commercial litigation, with a particular emphasis on shareholder disputes, contractual disputes, financial services and tax litigation. His insolvency expertise is advising examiners, liquidators and receivers of companies, as well as creditors, directors and shareholders of insolvent companies.
Fergus lectures on the Law Society of Ireland’s professional training courses. He is a member of the Commercial Law Committee of the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association and a member of the Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners.
Recent significant work includes advising:
• The respondents in a shareholder dispute heard by the Commercial Court and the Court of Appeal where the Petitioner issued proceedings pursuant to section 205 of the Companies Act 1963 alleging minority oppression;
• Debenhams Retail (Ireland) Limited in its restructuring through examinership;
• ICDL GCC Foundation FZ-LLC in the Commercial Court and the Supreme Court in its successful claim against the European Computer Driving Licence Foundation Limited;
• A leading Irish Bank in Commercial Court proceedings where judgment was obtained against a debtor for sums in excess of €48m;
• B&Q Ireland Limited on its restructuring through examinership;
• Cintra Infraestructuras Internacional SLU -v- The Revenue Commissioners in Commercial Court judicial review proceedings;
• Mothercare Ireland Limited in its restructuring through examinership Advised X Co. in the £100 million financing project for the acquisition of 50% equity stake.
• Restructuring and insolvency