England & Wales
Oil and gas
Ramu Ramaswamy is member of Orrick’s Energy & Infrastructure group with over 15 years of experience.
Ramu specialises in non-contentious energy law. He has special expertise in developing large energy projects. Ramu has spent most of his career advising on the development of large scale oil, gas, energy and infrastructure projects all around the world. His expertise stems from many years drafting and negotiating projects and associated commercial agreements — making him one of the most sought out international commercial lawyers in his areas of expertise.
Previously, Ramu worked within commercial teams of large international energy companies and leading international law firms. He has both commercial and legal expertise which is very highly valued by his clients.
He now advises governments and public sector entities in addition to private sector clients. Currently a lot of his work is in Africa where he operates in both francophone and anglophone countries. Ramu’s diverse experience gives him a very unique skill set and ability to quickly identify his clients’ needs and place them in a commercial context to get projects done.
• Uganda Refinery Project;
• Banda Gas-to-Power Project in Mauritania;
• Advising the Government of Uganda on the development of a refinery and upstream crude development in Uganda;
• Advising Total on the potential purchase of BP’s LPG sales network in South Africa.
• Article regarding drafting enforceable pre-contractual agreements was recently published in Oil, Gas and Energy Law Intelligence, 1875-418x, Vol 11-issue 5, October 2013;
• “Crafting Enforceable Pre-Contractual Agreements to enter into Definitive Contracts”, OGEL, 2013;
• “LNG & LPG Sales Contracts”, in Oil and Gas Production Contracts, Sweet and Maxwell, 2008;
• “Interim Measures of Protection under the Indian Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996”, Arbitration International, 1999.
LLM, French and European Law, University of Paris I - Panthéon-Sorbonne, 2003
Msc., Criminal Law and Criminology, London School of Economics, 1998
B.A.LL.B. (Hons), National Law School of India, 1997